Monday, May 27, 2002

Parents who don't speak English can be citizens!

Do you have parents who don't speak English? Do they want to attain citizenship? If so, there are four possible exceptions to the rule of taking an English test.

The following information was provided through the courtesy of Jon Wu,
Attorney at Law, who specializes in immigration law:

650 N. San Mateo Drive
San Mateo, CA 94401

The literacy requirements does not apply to any person
(1) with "physical or developmental disability or mental impairment," or
(2) over 50 and have had a green card for over twenty years, or
(3) over 55 and have had a green card for over 15 years.

In addition, the Attorney General may give "special consideration, as determined by the Attorney General," to any person who is over the age of 65 and have had a green card for over 20 years.

The sections of the Immigration and Nationality Act are: 312(b)(2)(A) and section 312(b)(2)(B). [INA: act 312 - requirements as to understanding the English language, history, principles, and form of government of the united states sec. 312. [8 u.s.c. 1423]

ANNOUNCEMENT: China Press (Chao Pao) will be publishing a series of three articles on 80-20 on May 29, 30, and 31.

According to its Special Correspondent Ms. Dajiu Li, its "newspaper will use three almost full pages to publish this article on the special page 'news pursuit'. The article has about 20,000 words in Chinese and about 12 pictures. The articles tell what 80-20 has done for the Asian community, the reason 80-20 had been founded ...."
"The article will explain why 80-20 wishes to get 80% of the APA voters to vote for one candidate. The articles will appear on May 29, 30, and 31."