Monday, September 22, 2003

Students -- Our Future Leaders

(A) Student membership, with full rights & privileges, is initiated
at $15 per year. 80-20 is looking into ways to nurture our students
into our future leaders, perhaps political leaders.

(B) Tien Chang-Lin Student Internship

80-20 instituted the Internship this past summer. If interested,
visit http://www.80-20initiative.net/intern.html.

It pays $1K per month but is very challenging work. Don't apply
unless you are among the best, the brightest AND THE TOUGHEST.
If you want real world political experience in serving the Asian Pacific
American community, then investigate this opportunity. See (C)
below to learn how challenging it could be.

(C) Sherry Zhang, A Tien Chang-Lin Summer Intern in 2003

Sherry Zhang was 16 and the only intern who is still in high
school. She was on Voice of America twice and on A.M. 1300 radio
station of Los Angeles for about 30 minutes as our intern. She
recruited more members than 80-20 had expected, including one Life
Member. She returned 80% of her stipend back to 80-20, in spite of
80-20's repeated request for her NOT to do so.

Her last act as an intern was to VOLUNTARILY write out her intern
experience for the benefit of our next summer's intern. Why? She was
planning ahead for 80-20. She so cares for 80-20 to succeed, perhaps
because she learned from her internship how much our community
needs political awakening.

Her essay has 3 sections. Its beginning & ending are shown below.
For the entire essay, go http://www.80-20initiative.net/strongwill.html.

1. A Strong Will Is Important

I considered quitting the internship several times.

When I applied, I thought as the chief-in-editor of the newspaper
of my Chinese school, 3500 families (about 10,000 people) had heard
my name for years, so it wouldn't be difficult for me to achieve my
intern goal. However, after I sent emails to the 14 branch school
principals, only one school was willing to mention 80/20 to their
school list. Since the schools were restricted from participating in
political activities, I could not get an email list from them. My action
plan was ruined and I had to start from scratch. On my first day of
recruiting at Chinese school, three close friends of mine said "No, NO,
and NO to me. One couple I sat down with started screaming and
cursing at me. They made me cry because I had not been treated that
way for 16 years of my life. I considered quitting then. ......

These types of situations made me consider quitting the
internship. I would be ashamed if I quit. ....... I repeatedly said to
myself, "I will reach that goal." I should not break my promise. That's
my will."

..... This internship taught me to believe in hard work and
determination, but more importantly, I've seen just how important it
is to have great friends who believe in you. I'll be hosting a family
party at the end of this month to thank all my recruits. ..."

S. B. Woo's reaction after first reading Sherry's essay:
All of a sudden I felt 20 years younger. My face was
flushed & my heart full of hope. The APA community is
the LAST best in political clout among minorities. We,
therefore, need future political leaders who will be the
best, the brightest AND THE TOUGHEST.

- - - - - - - - - - -

To join as a member, you must be either a citizen or a P.R., go
http://www.80-20initia tive.net/membership.html or
http://www.80-20.info/membership .html.
PERSONAL checks are payable to "80-20 PAC", mailed to:
Jing-Li Yu 80-20 special Assistant
P.O. Box 527340 Flushing, NY 11352-7340 .
Write down your E-MAIL address & PHONE no. on the BACK of the check.

If you are a student and have already paid $35 for this year's
membership, please e-mail <> . You'll get one
more year of membership. Thank you.