Many others have helped. 80-20 didn't do it alone. Here are the battlefield conditions for us & our children:
Purpose of the Battle: To succeed in asking President Obama to "issue a directive to the Labor Department asking it to focus on enforcing Executive Order 11246 on behalf of Asian Americans, since in the past similar efforts have already been made on behalf of women and other minorities." If & when implemented, most Asian Am. employees in private industries and universities will have the glass ceiling lifted from them.
Forces on Our Side: 80-20 has quietly marshaled together the following.
1. The written promise by President Obama to do the above, providing that a Labor Dept public hearing confirms discriminations against Asian Am. workers.
2. Within the White House: Chris Lu, the White House Cabinet Secretary and perhaps Pete Rouse (a Japanese Am.), Senior Advisor to the President
3. The Labor Dept: Hilda Solis has been confirmed as the Labor Secretary. She is of immigrant parents who both worked in America. Her earlier Congressional District in CA, that included Monterey Park, has 29% Asian Am voters. Although she is Hispanic, she is a member of the Congressional Asian Am. Caucus.
4. The EEOC: The Acting Chair of EEOC is now an Asian Am., Stuart Ishimaru. He has been appointed by Pres. Obama since 1/23/2009.
5. The 80-20: It has the strongest Boards since the founding of 80-20.
6. The EEOC report on the "Bamboo Ceiling above Asian Am Federal Employees," issued on 1/9/2009, recommended that our President promulgated another "Exec. Order that addresses issues of discrimination against AAPI employees in the federal sector, and that supports programs to encourage professional advancement." *
ALTHOUGH THE REPORT IS ON ASIAN AM FEDERAL EMPLOYEES ONLY, THE LANGUAGE IS SO STRONG AND GENERAL THAT ARGUABLY IT HAS MADE UNNECESSARY A PUBLIC HEARING BY THE LABOR DEPT. ON DISCRIMINATION AGAINST ASIAN AM. WORKERS IN PRIVATE INDUSTRIES AND UNIVERSITIES.
With 80-20's Board's approval, I am reporting to YOU 80-20's estimate of YOUR battlefield conditions. From here on, unless prevented by tactical necessity, I will keep you posted periodically on the fast and furious actions that are going on behind the scene even at this very minute.
The battlefield conditions look good. However, we are unlikely to succeed until YOU DO YOUR SHARE. Please join 80-20. Go http://www.80-20initiative.net. Or send your check to:
PO Box 22509
Philadelphia, PA 19110
Acting Executive Director, 80-20 PAC, Inc.
A fulltime volunteers for 7 of the last 10 years.
*If and when such an executive order is issued, the governors of the 50 states normally will take similar actions regarding Asian Am. state employees. Hence, ALL Asian Am. government employees, including state university/college employees may soon have the glass ceiling against them lifted.