Friday, December 13, 2002

Then They Came for Me

The following came to my mail box. See if you like it. Thank you.
Then They Came for Me
By Stephen F. Rohde, Esq.*


First they came for the Muslims, and I didn't speak up because I
wasn't a Muslim.

Then they came to detain immigrants indefinitely solely upon the
certification of the Attorney General, and I didn't speak up because I
wasn't an immigrant.

Then they came to eavesdrop on suspects consulting with their
attorneys, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a suspect.

Then they came to prosecute non-citizens before secret military
commissions, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a non-citizen.

Then they came to enter homes and offices for unannounced "sneak
and peek" searches, and I didn't speak up because I had nothing to
hide.

Then they came to reinstate Cointelpro and resume the infiltration
and surveillance of domestic religious and political groups, and I
didn't speak up because I had stopped participating in any groups.

Then they came for anyone who objected to government policy
because it aided the terrorists and gave ammunition to America's
enemies, and I didn't speak up because ... I didn't speak up.

Then they came for me. By that time no one was left to speak up.

Stephen Rohde, a constitutional lawyer and President of
the ACLU of Southern California, is indebted to the
inspiration of Rev. Martin Niemoller (1937).


ANNOUNCEMENT: Harrison Leong, who is a Sociology major with a minor in Asian Studies at Bowdoin, will join 80-20 as a full-time Special Assistant effective June 1, 2003. He speaks Mandarin and Cantonese and will be stationed in San Francisco, CA. His GPA is 3.5 in his major courses, and 3.2 overall. He is passionate about working for 80-20 and came to us very highly recommended.