Dear Fellow Asian Americans and other Friends,
May is both API Heritage Month and Hepatitis Awareness Month. The dual observances bring attention to a problem disproportionately affecting Asian Americans:
- AsAms are 5% the US population but 50% the estimated 1.2 million Americans living with chronic hepatitis B virus.
- 1 in 12 AsAms are infected; ~15-40% of those could develop liver cirrhosis or cancer.
- Most infected don’t know, because it can go decades without symptoms.
- Long latency period can put your loved ones at risk, transmitting the disease to spouse and young children.
- Vaccine is available, and has cut new infection by 95% since 1990.
- Early diagnosis saves lives and protects health.
80-20 disseminates these vital statistics as a service to our community. Serious health issues such as Hep B, as well as other issues of particular importance to AsAms, will not get the priority, attention and funding that they deserve without us FIRST acquiring political clout by acting in unity and vote as a bloc. Only via the power of a bloc vote can a small minority like us make a decisive difference in the outcome of elections – and hence motivate politicians to court our votes by offering favorable legislation and other initiatives that address the long neglected needs of our community.
80-20 seeks to be a powerful catalyst for positive changes to our community. We are only as strong as your support. Please do your part to become dues-paying members!
Join 80-20 Today. Go to http://www.80-20initiative.net/membership/join.asp
Or send your check to: 80-20 PAC, 13337 South St. #189, Cerritos, CA 90703.
Family membership is $50 (two), individual $35, student $15.
Please see us on facebook at: www.facebook.com/8020PAC
80-20 Collective Leadership