Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What Obama & 80-20 have in common

80-20 was founded by Chang-Lin Tien, Larry Ho, Henry Tan, S. B. Woo . . . Generations of Board members & supporters contributed to 80-20's success.

Although our achievement is minuscule when compared with that of President-elect Obama, our intention & vision are almost identical to what was expressed so eloquently below by him to his daughters.
# # # # # # # #

What I want for you - and every child in America
By President-elect Barack Obama

Dear Malia and Sasha:

. . . . When I was a young man, I thought life was all about me -- about how I'd make my way in the world, become successful, and get the things I want. But then the two of you came into my world with all your curiosity and mischief and those smiles that never fail to fill my heart and light up my day. And suddenly, all my big plans for myself didn't seem so important anymore. I soon found that the greatest joy in my life was the joy I saw in yours. And I realized that my own life wouldn't count for much unless I was able to ensure that you had every opportunity for happiness and fulfillment in yours. In the end, s, that's why I ran for president because of what I want for you and for every child in this nation.

. . . . that with the great privilege of being a citizen of this nation comes great responsibility.

That was the lesson your grandmother tried to teach me when I was your age, reading me the opening lines of the Declaration of Independence and telling me about the men and women who marched for equality because they believe those word put to paper two centuries ago should
mean something.

She helped me understand that America is great not because it is perfect but because it can always be improved -- and that the unfinished work of perfecting our union falls to each of us.
. . . .

I hope both of you will take up that work, right the wrongs that you see and working to give others the chances you've had. Not just because you have an obligation to give something back to this country . . . But because you have an obligation to yourself. Because it is only when you
hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself
that you will realize your true potential. . . .

Love,
Dad
# # # # # # # #

Will you consider joining 80-20 for the first time in your life? Click on http://www.80-20initiative.net or send your check to
80-20 PAC
PO Box 22509
Philadelphia, PA 19110

Respectfully,

S. B. Woo
Acting Executive Director